Saturday, November 5, 2011

Politicians and Providence


Have you ever griped about a politician?  I know have.  Often.  It’s hard not to when things seem to be going haywire on a regular basis.  Griping and complaining about the things we don’t like or agree with is a healthy part of our American political process, but it shouldn’t end there.  If all we ever do is bicker about it, then we aren’t actually engaging in the process, we are only highlighting the problems… or adding to them.

As responsible citizens we should engage in the solution process by carrying out our civic duty and voting.  Communicating our frustrations and desires to our elected officials through healthy channels is key.  However, as believers we should take it a step further and actually lift our leaders up in prayer on a regular basis.

For because of this you also pay taxes, for rulers are servants of God, devoting themselves to this very thing. – Romans 13:6

God is sovereign.  If a ruler is in power it is for a reason.  We may not agree with their decision making process, and it might be contrary to everything we believe in; but we must continue to hold to the truth that God is sovereign.

Yes, I will probably continue to grumble and complain when I see elected officials do something ridiculous.  I will also do my part by pointing those complaints to politically receptive parties, and I will continue to vote; but I will also lift up those leaders in prayer, even as I disagree with them.

*For a great study on the sovereignty of God check out the Book of Daniel.

No comments:

Post a Comment