Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Greatest Expectations


Just nine short weeks ago I had a birthday.  It was a fun day spent with people I love doing some of the things that I really enjoy.  This morning I was thinking about how much my life has changed in these last two months.

When September began I was firmly entrenched in all the awesomeness that goes with the hectic activity of fall semester startup as a campus missionary.  I was building great relationships, meeting awesome people, planning exciting activities, and awash in all the social buzz surrounding each of these things.  I had just returned to school to continue my education by pursuing a master’s degree in multi-media journalism.  In the realm of entertaining hobbies, things were looking more than chipper as several of my favorite stories were due to make big screen appearances or hit DVD; and the holiday season for video game enthusiasts was poised to blow the mind of every digital junky that owns a controller.

And then…

Three days after my birthday Jamie walked into the room with a little white bag and handed it to me.  Inside was a pregnancy test.  Results? Positive. 

In the days since she handed me that little bag a lot of stuff has gone through my mind.  This morning as I was reflecting on these things I was drawn continually to just how my expectations for this next year, and life in general, were forever changed by a simple little white bag.  It reminded me of the verse I put in my block in our high school annual my senior year.

However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him" – 1 Corinthians 2:9

When September began my mind, my heart, and my soul were engaged in all the great things that I have come to treasure, love, and expect about my blessed life.  As November dawns I see that my expectations were great, but God’s expectations are the greatest.

No comments:

Post a Comment