Thursday, February 16, 2012

Jeremiah 6:14 "They"

Lately I have been studying the Old Testament book Jeremiah during my quiet time with the Lord.  Earlier this week while reading through the sixth chapter the fourteenth verse really jumped out at me.  Any time something like this happens while I'm reading I instantly make a note of it, and as I sat in my office today I couldn't get this verse off of my mind.  So I decided to do what I often do in times like these as I contemplate a passage of scripture--share it.  For my next few posts I'll be taking a deeper look at this verse.  What do I think it means?  Who do I think it is speaking to or about?  How does it challenge me?
They have healed the brokenness of My people superficially,
Saying, ‘Peace, peace,’ But there is no peace. - Jeremiah 6:14 NASB
 Who is "They" that this verse is speaking of?  You only need to go back to verse thirteen to see that it is referencing the prophets and priests of Israel.

For from the least of them even to the greatest of them, Everyone is greedy for gain,
And from the prophet even to the priest Everyone deals falsely. - Jeremiah 6:13 NASB
Other versions swap gain for money, profit, wealth, and other similar terms--but the point is made.  The prophets and priests, the people charged with communicating and conducting the people of Israel toward God had been corrupted.  And during this passage God was warning them through Jeremiah of the impending disastrous consequences of their actions.

Do you know of anyone today purporting to fill the role of prophet or priest while at the same time seeking to fill their pockets, promote their image, or presume their superiority?  Take care.  Look first for the humble heart, wise nature, and gentle spirit.



Other blogs in this series.

1 comment:

  1. Just as pressing - how many preachers of the Word are backing away from 'distasteful' terms such as "wrath"? These prophets and priests were included in the destruction because they pandered to what the sinful people of Israel wanted to hear rather than what was (and is) true of those outside the covenant - that they were under the wrath of God.

    ReplyDelete