Thursday, February 23, 2012

Jeremiah 6:14 "My People"

Lately I have been studying the Old Testament book Jeremiah during my quiet time with the Lord.  While reading through the sixth chapter the fourteenth verse really jumped out at me.  As I sat in my office I couldn't get this verse off of my mind. So I decided to share my thoughts.
They have healed the brokenness of My people superficially,
Saying, ‘Peace, peace,’ But there is no peace. - Jeremiah 6:14 NASB
My people is an easy enough phrase to grasp the meaning of in the context of this passage.  My meaning mine--as in God's; and people meaning the Jews.  This prophetic writing is stating quite plainly that God is unhappy with the way that His chosen ones are being treated by the people (prophets and priests) responsible for directing them to Him.

Jeremiah has over fifty chapters.  Much of the content deals with the approaching judgement against the Israelites by the conquering Babylonian army.  And even though God is readying the judgement that many of Jeremiah's later chapters deal with, He still stamps the Jews with His ownership in this early passage.

Something I believe that this helps to point out is the idea that God's judgement is often redemptive in nature (for more on that read Jonah's story in the book by the same name.)  God often used judgement in the OT to steer His people toward correction.  Of course, when we think of judgement in our modern era we usually think of some kind of terrible supernatural cataclysm (or a verdict rendered in a court); and while I believe those happen I also believe there are small judgements of a less obvious nature.

To me, the important thing to take away from this passage is the idea that once you've been adopted into God's family (see Ephesians chapter one) you belong to His family.  That is something pretty awesome to consider.  It doesn't free us from responsibility, or even correction, but instead it affords us the wealth of sonship that rests in the family of God.

Last thought:  People is not a singular term.  It is plural.  It is collective.  No Christian is an only child and I find it deeply unsettling when I happen across those within the faith who feel as if they are all alone.

Challenge:  Plug in to the people.  Find a faith family.  Find a place to be a part of the collective of the Body of Christ.  Find a church.  Become deeply involved and let those around you become deeply involved with you.  You will be all the better for it.



Other blogs in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment