Thursday, December 1, 2011

Joseph and I

We're not really sure what day and date that Jesus was born on; but Joseph celebrated the first Christmas much like I will be celebrating this one--as an expectant father.  Lately I've gotten a familiar question from several well-meaning friends; "are you nervous?"  In a word . . . no.  I'm not nervous at all.  I am incredibly excited about the impending birth of my sweet little boy. 

Jamie is now twenty-five weeks pregnant.  She has had a fairly trouble-free experience, and I fully believe these next seventy to eighty days will be equally trouble-free.  I believe our baby will be born whole and healthy, on time, and without difficulty.  I believe that he is a tremendous blessing, and will in fact be one of the greatest blessings of my life.

However, I do have a few questions.  And I can't help, but wonder if my Joseph may have had some similar questions.

What will he look like?
What will he sound like?
Will he be a mama's boy, a daddy's boy, or something in between?
Will he be respectful?
Will he be smart?
Will he be athletic?
Will he be quiet?
Will he be strong?
What will his first word be?
What time of day will he be born?
How much will he weigh?
Will he be a night owl like me?
Will he be a mathematician like his mother?

I'm sure Joseph had his share of questions as he eagerly expected the birth of the Son of God whom he was to raise.  This miracle baby entrusted to this seemingly normal man.  I can't even begin to imagine the weight of it.  We don't read much about Joseph's influence on Jesus after his birth, but one day on the other side of eternity I'd like to sit down with this incredible carpenter.  What questions do you think Joseph may have had?

No comments:

Post a Comment