Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Burden to Perform

We live in a performance driven society.  How well can you _______?  How much can you _______?  We determine the worth of people based on a misconstrued sense of value, which is itself measured by the result of a given action versus our expectations.

This weighs heavy on us.  All of us.  We live in the land of the free and the home of the brave, and I’m so incredibly grateful for that; but we also live in the land of the me and the home of the busy.  The resulting pressure is more than we were ever meant to bear.

Tonight, while praying with a student, I was reminded that we don’t have to carry this burden.  We don’t have to, nor should we, live for the pleasurable desire of a performance well received by our peers.  Life like that is stifling.  I’m so happy Jesus spoke the words recorded in Matthew Chapter 11.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30

And the Apostle Paul penned these words in his letter to the Roman Church.

The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.
Romans 8:16

We’re His kids.  We belong to God.  We take our identity from who He is, what He has done, what He is doing, and what He has yet to do.  Don’t let the pressure to please and perform weigh you down anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment